11.2 C
Mount Panorama
Saturday, May 25, 2024
HomeNewsWhere Erebus is at with mooted Busch wildcard

Where Erebus is at with mooted Busch wildcard

EREBUS Motorsport CEO Barry Ryan is still not ruling out a Kyle Busch wildcard but says there is a higher priority for now: rebuilding their team after months of turmoil.

As recently as January, Ryan told V8 Sleuth: “We’d really love to get Kyle Busch or someone like that over here to do Adelaide after the NASCAR season has finished.”

Needless to say, plenty of water has gone under the bridge since then, centring around 2023 champion Brodie Kostecki’s decision to sit out the opening two rounds of the Supercars season before returning to the grid at Taupō.

Speaking just before the Taupō Super400, Ryan was nudged on whether an Adelaide 500 wildcard for NASCAR star Busch was still a possibility.

“There’s things in discussion, but… we’ve been ripped apart by the media and certain individuals, so we’re just trying to put the business back together as a priority,” he told V8 Sleuth.

“And then if wildcards align for doing that, well that’s we’ll do.”

As for the ongoing status of Erebus’ ties with Richard Childress Racing?

“That’s a really strong relationship,” said Ryan.

“I hope we can do a lot more stuff with them in the future.

“But as I said, rebuild what we have got here and then focus on extra-curricular things, if you want to call it that.”

Kostecki is unlikely to return to NASCAR with RCR this year as had been on the cards at one stage. The 26-year-old made his Cup Series debut last August at Indianapolis.

Rumours have recently circulated about the prospect of a potential sale of Erebus – a topic that is yet to be commented on by team owner Betty Klimenko.

Want to read more?

Subscribe to V8 Sleuth to receive regular updates of news and products delivered straight to you.



Latest News

Want to read more?

Subscribe to V8 Sleuth to receive regular updates of news and products delivered straight to you.