10.7 C
Mount Panorama
Wednesday, April 17, 2024
HomeNewsBathurstMercedes team locks in two-pronged Bathurst tilt

Mercedes team locks in two-pronged Bathurst tilt

VOLANTE Rosso Motorsport has confirmed a double shot at the 2024 Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour.

The squad, which has tasted victory in GT World Challenge Australia this year courtesy of Jayden Ojeda/Ross Poulakis at Phillip Island, will field two Mercedes-AMG GT3s in the February 16-18 event.

One will be entered in Pro-Am and the other in the Silver/Bronze class. Drivers have not been announced for either car as yet.

MORE: German team pounces on Ojeda for GT test

“With our entries confirmed, I met with (fellow team owner) Chris Papadopoulos last week to really begin zoning in on our driving team as the program takes shape,” said Volante Rosso Motorsport director Josh Hunt.

“There are many Australian and international drivers that would be suitable for Volante Rosso Motorsport’s 12 Hour team across the entries in both classes.”

Volante Rosso Motorsport added to its breakout year by clinching the Radical Cup Australia title last weekend via 16-year-old Alex Gardner.

“Our engineering team has been able to get a really great handle on the Mercedes-AMG GT3 in 2023, and the Pirelli DHF Tyre compound,” added Papadopoulos.

“Our crew at Volante Rosso Motorsport have left no stones unturned to extract more from the cars and how we can unlock the maximum performance from them, and consistently.

“Our commitment to 2024 starts with being one of the early entries into the Bathurst 12 Hour as the event approaches its 100-day countdown.”

One of the Volante Rosso Motorsport Mercedes. Pic: Supplied

Valmont Racing also recently confirmed its 2024 Bathurst 12 Hour entry for Marcel Zalloua and Sergio Pires.

The duo were joined by Duvashen Padayachee and Aaron Cameron for this year’s edition; after qualifying a superb seventh, an incident at the Dipper took their Mercedes-AMG GT3 out of the race.

“Bathurst is such a challenging place and it got us good this year, said Zalloua.

“We had such a fantastic weekend to that point, making the Shootout and mixing it up with some of the best GT teams and drivers in the world, and then running really well on Sunday – but that’s the sport and that race.

“We had to come back, we couldn’t not be there after the way this year ended so we want to get back into it and have another go.

“It will be Sergio and I driving and we’re still working through a number of options for our third driver.”

Want to read more?

Subscribe to V8 Sleuth to receive regular updates of news and products delivered straight to you.



Latest News

Want to read more?

Subscribe to V8 Sleuth to receive regular updates of news and products delivered straight to you.